Saturday 10 November 2012

34 - Aunt Tiger 虎姑婆 (2)

Here's the whole story. Let me know what you think. I'm still learning how to do translation, so any tips would be useful.

Since long ago there’s been a house up on the mountain side. There once lived there a family with a boy and a girl. One day the mummy and daddy had to take a trip to somewhere far away, so they told the children to be very careful and look after the house.

That evening there was suddenly a knock at the door. “Open up! I’m your great auntie and I’ve brought lots of cakes and biscuits for us to have while I look after you.” In actual fact this old lady was a tiger who had changed shape by magic so that she could eat little children.

As soon as the little boy heard about the cakes and biscuits his mouth started to water. He opened the door wide and in came a hunchbacked old lady with a few whiskers on her face and a tail just about poking out from under her hem. The little boy instantly took a liking to his so-called great auntie and later that night fell asleep beside her.

Around midnight the little girl heard Aunt Tiger going "om, nom, nom" like she was eating something. She asked her "Auntie, what are you eating?" To which the old lady replied "Auntie's eating fried dough sticks."  "I want some, too" said the little girl, so Aunt Tiger gave her a piece. As soon as the little girl saw it she almost cried out with shock. 

"This isn't my little brother's finger, is it?" she asked herself. "He's been eaten. What should I do? Is there anything I can do?" She got so scared and panicky that she could only think of running away, but she didn't. Instead she thought for a moment and said "Auntie, I need to go for a wee." To this Aunt Tiger said "All right, but I'll need to tie a rope around you, in case you run off."

The little girl secretly took a kettle of water to the outhouse, then she untied the rope from round her waist and tied it onto the kettle's handle. When Aunt Tiger pulled on the rope water spilled out of the kettle and, hearing it splash, Aunt Tiger relaxed, thinking the little girl was going to the toilet. 

But when the little girl didn't come back Aunt Tiger started to get suspicious, so she pushed open the outhouse door and saw that the little girl wasn't in there after all. However, as soon as she lifted her head she saw the little girl sat high up in a tree. From the ground she called up "Quick, come down, I want to eat you." From the top of the tree the little girl said "I won't be any good raw, I'd be much better deep fried. You should bring a pot of boiling oil."

Aunt Tiger thought this such a good idea that she straight away hurried inside, heated a pot of oil and brought it out. "Auntie, if you hoist the pot up here I'll cook myself. I'll get in the pot and when I'm done I'll jump down there. You'll only need to open your mouth and I'll drop right in." Aunt Tiger nodded happily as she listened to this idea. She got the rope and pulled the pot up to the top of the tree. 

When the pot of still bubbling oil reached the little girl she took hold of its handle and tipped it over Aunt Tiger. "Ahh, it hurts, it hurts," cried out the old monster. The clever little girl had killed Aunt Tiger. 

No comments:

Post a Comment